Tuesday 31 May 2011

Dream Interpretation

I had a dream.  Now, this dream may be interpreted on many different levels, but I am interested to see what YOUR interpretations are.

I do not believe in dream interpretation per se.  I think that the idea I can dream in metaphors is bizarre, and if I dreamt in all sorts of abstract and symbolic imagery, then why would I not think like this consciously 24-7.

According to Freud (who of course will be mentioned) then dreams are just "...disguised fulfillments of repressed wishes."  Whether you believe this to be true or not, really depends on whether you studied A-Level psychology.

I will now recall my dream:  I am attending the Royal Wedding, and I am there with all of my work colleagues.  The wedding is being held at an aerodrome.  The ceremony starts with me being led with my work colleuagues to and from different locations like sheep.  We do not know where we are going but we are happy to be led as we keep going passed the bar.  It is then announced over a tannoy (public speaker system - all-rise Partridge fans) that we should head outside to see the flyby of the Red Arrows.  I then observe this through a small alleyway, and as the strangely slow procession passes, one spitfire pilot decides to attempt a loop-the-loop, which at that altitude can only go horribly wrong.  We all watch in disbelief as the plane goes up in flames when it crashes into the ground in a ball of flames.  We then hear from the public speaker (tannoy operator) that everything is OK.  Bewildered, we watch as the flames die down, only to reveal the pilot standing triumphantly on top of the annihilated wreckage of his plane.  Obviously we are all somewhat relieved.  After this we head to the bar area to celebrate the Royal Wedding (quite why it's capitalised I don't know), where I catch sight of an old school friend of mine Daniel.  Throught the sheer exuberance of seeing each other after a prolonged seperation we wrestle rather violently on the floor.  I unfortunately drop him on his head.  I am unsure what to do as he screams in agony, and as I am just about to intervene, Marti Pellow of Wet Wet Wet fame rushes in to analyse the situation and make sure my friend is not unduly injured.  Obviously I am a little taken aback by his presence, but I let him carry out his checks as he seems to know what he is doing.  The rest of dream carrys on with me getting steadily more drunk, yet more alone.

Now, needless to say on awakening I was a little dumbfounded by this dream.  I dream all sorts of nonsense, but on this occasion I had reached new heights.  I didn't know what to make of it.  Now, if I take Freudian symbolism to the extreme then all oblong objects resemble a penis.  Which means that the runway is a penis, and Marti Pellow, being of human shape is an oblong, so is obviously a penis.  I don't mean to say that I agree with this, personally I think that this is complete detritus (an interesting article on Freudian symbolism can be found here)

I see dream interpretation as a similar belief to astrology.  In essence it is trying to link a deeper emotional meaning to things that don't deserve it.  This is essentially just relating symbols to things that we imagine important enough to dream about, and if things aren't instantly obvious, then we make tenous links to things that are.  Ultimately there are no scientists that have pointed to a conclusive reason for our dreams.  The most realistic opinion would be that we are processing the information we have acculmulated throughout our day, and are experiencing it through a 'mashed up' sequence.

I have no idea what my or your dreams mean to me or you.  But I am very interested to hear how others may interpret this.  Finally, this artical makes interesting, yet hilarious reading.

Yours thoughtfully,

Neanderthal Man

2 comments:

  1. I think this dream suggests you are seriously disturbed. You weren't willing to go and see if the pilot was ok? You dropped your friend on the head? You like Wet Wet Wet? Freak. I would seriously be worried if I had your dreams...

    Seriously though, I don't think you've got anything to worry about. I quite like the Freudian theory of "...disguised fulfillments of repressed wishes" though.

    How can a tiger mean the same to a zoo keeper as it would to someone who'd been attacked by one? How can an act like watching tv mean 'you're relaxed' to someone who repairs them for a living? It just doesn't work.

    The only thing I think you can definitely quantify is how you react to the dream... If you're seriously stressed out by something, perhaps you're stressed out in real life. If you're having a lovely happy dream, maybe you're enjoying real life. But you probably already know this... you're aware of your real life already, right??

    I love dreams where I fly. That is all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do think there is a very vague link between our dreams and our state of mind at the time, along with external influences (like hearing music on the radio but also in your dream). Like if I am stressed about something, I get the typical dreams about running out of time or not being able to escape from something. But going to the extremes of 'there was a llama in your dream, so that means you are worried about debt' or whatever is just ridiculous. What I find strange are reccuring dreams, and what makes you dream about something again and again. I have this one dream of being eaten by dinosaurs in various different ways which I have had occasionally ever since I was little. No idea why though, Jurassic Park didn't scare me at all.

    ReplyDelete